Getting the Most Out of Your Alpha Cutoff. 01.20.2017
By: Mahmoud (Mike) Abbas, P.E., Thermatool Corp., USA
With higher demands for productivity, it is essential that mill supervisors and managers take a closer look at their flying shears. Most, if not all, flying cutoffs that were built in the last century are equipped with hydraulic accelerators and vintage controllers that are becoming obsolete. These units are becoming less desirable due to their low efficiency, high maintenance, and costly, hard to obtain components. Obsolete components contribute to major downtime that companies cannot afford due to the interruption of their production. Thermatool offers a complete solution with updated controls and a robust acceleration systems that removes the risk of unexpected downtime, and puts production planning back in the hands of the supervisors and managers.
Efficiency stands hand in hand with precision so for improved efficient operation, a rack and pinion driven by an electric servo motor is the answer. At Thermatool we have developed an introductory rack and pinion accelerator and standard controller without sacrificing the quality and efficiency of our standard product. Existing machines can be retrofitted with a new AC rack and pinion accelerator along with a new industrial power cabinet that houses all electrical components – including the accelerator drive and a controller that utilizes the latest state of art technology in motion controls.
Benefits of this upgrade:
- Increase uptime and machine reliability.
- Improve cut length accuracy.
- Reduce maintenance by utilizing fewer, simpler, stronger components.
- Incorporates proven patented accelerator technology.
- Robust, proven hardened pinion for long life and wear resistance.
- Hardened and precision grounded rack that is rigidly supported to maintain alignment for precise transition in and out of the bearing assembly into the machine.
- Low backlash for accurate positioning and repeat-ability.
- AC servo asynchronous motor with encoder feedback for accurate positioning and velocity.
- High performance geared motor that has been carefully selected and closely coupled to the inertia of the existing machines.
- Engineered to integrate / connect to existing Alpha cutoffs.
- Easy to use operator controls and information display screen.
- Improved operation, diagnostics, and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Dieset position encoder providing real-time feedback for accurate control.
- Ability to make production part length and batch changes on the fly.
- Ability to convert automatically between Metric and English units.
- Additional operator functions include line speed simulator and display of real time part count.
- Proven cut to mark capability.
- Operator controls include touch screen pushbuttons and switches for: auto/manual mode select, jog forward/reverse, crop cut, and single stroke of press, on/off for flywheel, accelerator, and hydraulic pump motors.
- Ram position feedback is required with this upgrade. Ram encoder control provides precise and repeatable cutting. (Ram integration kit is included for ease of installation.)
The main control cabinet is an industrial, gasket-sealed enclosure that has been designed specifically for the demanding steel mill environment and meets all NEMA 12 requirements. The main control cabinet includes all necessary protective devices required to interconnect the machine to the plant power supply. The power cabinet includes the following:
- Main circuit breaker and all high voltage controls.
- Motor starters, overload protection & circuit breakers.
- New accelerator drive.
- Based on the model of the machine, flywheel drive is sized and installed (optional).
- Air conditioning is provided in the new electrical cabinet.
The hydraulic unit utilizes a variable stroke pump to actuate the clutch, a gear pump to supply cooling to the clutch, and an oil to water heat exchanger to maintain proper oil temperature to the clutch. It is equipped with pressure, dirt alarm, flow and temperature switches for diagnostics. This unit is properly designed to provide suitable pressure needed to the clutch. Constant pressure is essential to maintain constant torque during the cutting process. A clutch plate with a valve for precise ram positioning is also included. The fast response clutch valve and accumulator are important to optimize response time and brake angle. The ram will continuously stop at top dead center provided the clutch is in good working condition.
With increasing demand for an efficient, greater performance, and durable equipment in today’s market, Thermatool, is the industry leader producing flying shears, has the competitive and technical solution. Thermatool is aware of the importance of mill uptime, so a small footprint and minimal labor used for installation and commissioning is kept in mind for quick simple retrofit of existing equipment. This upgrade is backed by Thermatool’s dedicated customer service and parts support. For more information, please contact Thermatool by calling
203-468-4100 or email us at email@example.com.
Please contact us so that we can help you find the solution that best suits your needs to make your mill the most effective.
31 Commerce St. East Haven, CT 06512